Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education, PSE change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: School, Community
Target Audience: Elementary School, Middle School, Adults
- CookShop Classroom
- CookShop Classroom for Elementary School and CookShop Classroom for After-School use hands-on exploration, cooking and physical activity to foster children’s enjoyment and consumption of healthy food.
- CookShop for Families
- CookShop for Families is a complementary program for parents and adult guardians in schools that participate in CookShop Classroom, with the goal of engaging whole families involved in making healthy choices.
- Comprehensive, interactive training and support from Food Bank staff
- Curriculum materials
- Food needed to implement the program successfully
- Supplies and equipment needed to implement the program successfully
Additionally, in 2003, Quinn and colleagues found that CookShop participants showed a difference in food exposure and willingness to try new foods (although no change was found in participants’ dietary habits).
In 2018, Altarum Institute conducted an impact evaluation to determine the extent to which CookShop promotes healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among participants. Findings show that CookShop participation was associated with an increase in children’s willingness to try new fruit and vegetables and a decrease in SSB consumption. Participating children in CookShop program also exhibiting positive behaviors by increasing the number of days in which they engage in physical activity; and decreasing the amount of time they spend in front of a screen.
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)
|Changes – Medium Term (MT)
|Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)
|Population Results (R)
|ST1, ST2, ST3
|MT1, MT2, MT3
|LT1, LT2, LT3
|Sectors of Influence
Caitlin Fitzpatrick, Associate Director Nutrition & Health Services
Phone: 212-566-7855, Ext: 8359
Food Bank For New York City
39 Broadway, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10006
*Updated as of August 20, 2023