Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education, PSE Change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Schools, Community, Faith-based community
Target Audience: Elementary School, Middle School
CATCH provides trainings for teachers and other educators who will be implementing the program. https://catchinfo.org/programs/training/ More information about the various programs and their components can be found on their website: http://catchinfo.org/programs
K-5 curriculum materials: https://www.flaghouse.com/General-Education/CATCH/Curriculum/Elementary-School-Programs/
Grade 6-8 curriculum materials: https://www.flaghouse.com/General-Education/CATCH/Curriculum/Middle-School-Programs/
Afterschool curriculum materials: https://www.flaghouse.com/General-Education/CATCH/Curriculum/After-School-Programs/
- Cawley J. The economics of childhood obesity. Health Affairs. 2010;29(3):364-371.
- Institute of Medicine. Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention: Solving the Weight of the Nation. Washingtion, DC: The National Academies Press; 2012.
- Geier AB, Foster GD, Womble LG, et al. The relationship between relative weight and school attendance among elementary schoolchildren. Obesity. 2007;15(8):2157-2161.
- Taras, H, Potts-Datema, W. Obesity and student performance at school. Journal of School Health. 2005;75(8):291-295.
- Luepker RV, Perry CL, McKinlay SM, et al. Outcomes of a field trial to improve children’s dietary patterns and physical activity: The Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health (CATCH). J Am Med Assoc. 1996;275:768-776.
- Nader P, Stone EJ, Lytle LA, et al. Three year maintenance of improved diet and physical activity: the CATCH cohort. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999;153(7): 695-704.
- Coleman KJ, Tiller CL, Sanchez MA, et al. Prevention of the epidemic increase in child risk of overweight in low-income schools: the El Paso coordinated approach to child health. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005;159:217-222.
- Hoelscher DM, Kelder SH, Perez A, et al. Changes in the regional prevalence of child obesity in 4th, 8th, and 11th grade students in Texas from 2000-2002 to 2004-2005. Obesity. 2010;18(7):1360-1368.
- Hoelscher DM, Springer AE, Ranjit N, et al. Reductions in child obesity among disadvantaged school children with community involvement: the Travis County CATCH Trial. Obesity. 2010;18(S1):S36-44.
- Murray N, Garza J, Diamond P, et al. Physical activity improves academic achievement in elementary school children. Science. 2009; under review.
- Brown HS, Perez A, Li YP, Hoelscher DM, Kelder SH, Rivera R. The cost-effectiveness of a school-based overweight program. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2007;4:47
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Individual||ST1, ST3||MT1, MT3||LT1, LT3|
|Environmental Settings||ST6||MT5, MT6|
|Sectors of Influence|
CATCH Global Foundation