Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Reducing Screen Time, Other: Food Safety
Intervention Type: Direct Education, PSE Change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: School (Learn)
Target Audience: Elementary School
- Curriculum binder
- 5 lessons with recipes and physical activity, strategies and tips for implementing PSEs in school settings
- Teaching materials
- Activity cards, visuals, posters
- PSE evaluation tools
- Environmental scans for school and classroom
- Student materials
- Worksheets, reminder cards, stickers, healthy suggestion cards
- PSE Materials
- Posters, breakfast pledge, healthy celebration proclamation, Parent letters with recipes, tip
- Letters for school administrators, teachers, and staff
- 39% improvement in “I eat vegetables” (p<.001)
- 32% improvement in “I eat fruit” (p<.001)
- 42% improvement in “I choose healthy snacks” (p<.001)
- 28% improvement in “I do physical activities” (p<.001)
- 116 nutrition and physical activity supports implemented: Examples include improvements in the layout or display of food and improvements in free water access. Specific “sub-supports,” such as the allowance of water bottles, are clustered under these broader categories.
Evidence-based Approach: Practice-tested
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Individual||MT1, MT3, MT4|
|Environmental Settings||ST5, ST7||MT5, MT6|
|Sectors of Influence|
- Increase fruit consumption: In FFY 2018, 234 of 713 youth increased frequency (33% improvement) of vegetable consumption based on matched pre-/post-surveys.
- Increase vegetable consumption: In FFY 2018, 283 of 714 youth increased frequency (40% improvement) of fruit consumption based on matched pre-/post-surveys.
- MT3a: Physical activity and leisure sport: In FFY 2018, 203 of 712 youth increased frequency (29% improvement) of physical activities based on matched pre-/post-surveys.
- MT4a: Clean and wash hands and surfaces often: In FFY 2018, 215 of 709 youth increased frequency (30% improvement) of hand washing based on matched pre-/post- surveys.
- ST5b: 35 schools conducted an environmental scan
- ST7a: 42 partnerships developed
- MT5: 88 nutrition supports adopted
- Mt5f: Nutrition support reach = 8,178 students
- MT6: 28 physical activity and reduced sedentary behavior supports implemented
- MT6f: Physical activity and reduced sedentary behavior supports reach = 5,142
Kali McCrackin Goodenough
Wyoming SNAP-Ed State Office