Target Behavior: Healthy Eating
Intervention Type: PSE Change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Age: Parents/Mothers/Fathers, Adults
- Objective 1: Participating Local Health Departments (LHD) will recruit 3-5 qualifying SNAP-Ed retail stores to participate in the intervention.
- Objective 2: LHDs will offer recruited stores training and technical assistance to enable them to reach one or more of the following environmental change goals annually: (1) Increase the number of fresh fruits and vegetables offered, (2) offer greater variety of fruit and vegetables, in any format and (3) increase healthy food options from remaining food groups. LHDs will provide monthly assistance, at minimum.
- Objective 3: The State Department of Health will provide ongoing training and technical assistance to LHD staff to work with their local retail stores participating in the intervention.
- Objective 4: LHDs will provide participating retail venues benefits, including merchandising and promotional materials from the onset of participation, and help with implementing healthy changes.
- Objective 5: LHDs will annually provide recognition (bronze, silver, and gold levels) to these small business owners to serve as a program for low resource consumers to easily identify stores that stock healthier foods and beverages.
- The California Conference of Directors of Environmental Health’s (CCDEH) Retail Food Sampling Guidelines: https://www.ccdeh.com/resources/documents/food-safety-guidelines-1
- Health on the Shelf describes how to create a strong healthy small food retailer certification: http://changelabsolutions.org/publications/health-on-the-shelf
- PSE change resources around changing the environment in small retail stores: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCDPHP/DCDIC/NEOPB/Pages/Retail.aspx
- Nutrition, Tobacco, and Alcohol Control Program integration webinar: http://countertobacco.org/resources-tools/
- Supporting nutrition education materials and signage are available through the NEOP Retail Program: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CCDPHP/DCDIC/NEOPB/Pages/Retail.aspx
- Harvest of the Month: http://harvestofthemonth.cdph.ca.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Information and reports about the materials provided in the intervention include:
- The Retail Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Guide
- My Neighborhood, My Store: Building Community Leadership for Healthy Changes
- Mix It Up: A Guide to Changing Corner Store Offerings
- Taking Stock: Creating Healthy Changes at Grocery Stores and Small Markets
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Environmental Settings||MT5||LT5, LT7|
|Sectors of Influence||LT18|
California Department of Public Health, Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Branch
Phone: (916) 650-6891