Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Child care
Target Audience: Preschool (<5 years old)
Race/Ethnicity: African Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans
- Children attending the intervention schools had significantly smaller increases in BMI compared with children attending the control schools at both one and two-year follow-up for predominately African American schools, but not predominately Latino schools.
- Saturated fat intake was significantly lower in children attending the intervention schools compared with children attending the control schools at 1-year follow-up.
- Publications include:
- Stolley MR, Fitzgibbon ML, Dyer A, Van Horn L, Kaufer Christoffel K, Schiffer L. Hip-Hop to Health Jr., an obesity prevention program for minority preschool children: baseline characteristics of participants. Prev Med. 2003 Mar;36(3):320-9. doi: 10.1016/s0091-7435(02)00068-3. PMID: 12634023.
- Fitzgibbon ML, Stolley MR, Schiffer L, Van Horn L, Kaufer Christoffel K, Dyer A. Two-year follow-up results for Hip-Hop to Health Jr.: a randomized controlled trial for overweight prevention in preschool minority children. J Pediatr. 2005 May;146(5):618-25. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2004.12.019. PMID: 15870664.
- Fitzgibbon ML, Stolley MR, Schiffer L, Van Horn L, KauferChristoffel K, Dyer A. Hip-Hop to Health Jr. for Latino preschool children. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006 Sep;14(9):1616-25. doi: 10.1038/oby.2006.186. PMID: 17030973.
Effectiveness Trial (lessons taught by classroom teachers)
- Children attending the intervention schools had significantly higher levels of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity levels and less total screen time than children attending control schools post-intervention.
- Publications include:
- Fitzgibbon ML, Stolley MR, Schiffer LA, Braunschweig CL, Gomez SL, Van Horn L, Dyer AR. Hip-Hop to Health Jr. Obesity Prevention Effectiveness Trial: postintervention results. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 May;19(5):994-1003. doi: 10.1038/oby.2010.314. Epub 2010 Dec 30. PMID: 21193852; PMCID: PMC3775499.
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Individual||ST1, ST3||MT1, MT3||LT1, LT3|
|Sectors of Influence|
*Updated as of September 11, 2023