Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Reducing Screen Time, Other: Family engagement/communication and goal setting
Intervention Type: Direct Education
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: School gardens, Faith-based community, Indian Tribal Organizations, School (Learn)
Target Audience: Elementary School, Parents/Mothers/Fathers, Adults
Race/Ethnicity: White, Black, Native American/American Indian, Hispanic/Latino, Non-Hispanic/Latino
- Sessions cover food preparation, physical activity, family engagement/communication, and goal setting
- Program assessment tools include outcome and fidelity of implementation
- Supplementary training course can be found at this website
- Ripple Effect Mapping Outcomes of a Childhood Obesity Prevention Program From Youth and Adult Dyads Using a Qualitative Approach: iCook 4-H
- Food-related behavior and intake of adult main meal preparers of 9-10 year-old children participating in iCook 4-H: A five-state childhood obesity prevention pilot study
- Health Disparities Score Composite of Youth and Parent Dyads from an Obesity Prevention Intervention: iCook 4-H
- The Effect of iCook 4-H, a Childhood Obesity Prevention Program, on Blood Pressure and Quality of Life in Youth and Adults: A Randomized Control Trial
- Development and Testing of Program Evaluation Instruments for the iCook4-H Curriculum
Evidence-based Approach: Research-tested
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Individual||MT1, MT2, MT4|
|Sectors of Influence|
- MT1i. Consuming low-fat or fat-free milk, milk products, or fortified soy beverages
- Controls decreased dairy foods by −0.26 cup-equivalents/y, whereas treatment youths maintained intake.
- MT2m. Cook healthy foods on a budget
- Treatment youths increased the mean score on cooking skills 2.5 points more than did control youths.
- MT4c. Cook: cook to proper temperatures
- For cooking together, treatment group adults increased the mean score 0.7 points more than did controls.
- Program evaluation for youth and adults (pre- and post-program) with scoring and scale calculations provided.
- Fidelity of Implementation Tool that can be applied to any session with scoring suggestions provided.
Ripple Effects Mapping process and report and map template with additional training and support documents available on the extension campus site.