- Mind – improving children’s self-esteem and supporting families to change their behaviors around eating and activity
- Exercise – engaging in regular physical activity that is fun
- Nutrition – learning about good nutrition and healthy eating
- Do it! – taking action to make healthy lifestyle changes
Healthy Weight Partnership and MEND Foundation provide third parties with the training, resources, support and technical assistance required to deliver MEND programs effectively.
Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Community, Faith-based Community, Health Care, School
Target Audience: Elementary School, Middle School, Parents/Mothers/Fathers
The program consists of:
- One hour families’ sessions on nutrition and behavioral topics such as building a healthy meal, fats and sugars, label reading, and eating out
- One hour parents’ sessions on topics such as setting goals and rewards, role modeling healthy behaviors, and being an active family
- One hour children’s exercise at the same time as the parents’ sessions, including a variety of fun activities.
The staff who deliver MEND are trained by nutrition and exercise professionals with experience in pediatric weight management.
Leaders and program managers have access to resources on OMMS, MEND’s Online Management and Monitoring System. This secure web-based system enables those delivering MEND programs to manage them effectively, store personal data and produce comprehensive easy-to-read family reports, and obtain clear and real-time management information.
MEND materials include:
- Two-day training and materials including pre-workshop reading
- Program manuals for leaders
- Kit bag (posters, activity and game pieces, learning sheets and certificates)
- Resources and leader fact sheets accessible on OMMS
- Extensive in-color program handbook for children (bilingual)
- MEND T-shirt
- MEND water bottle
- MEND detective label-reading card
- Meal Mate cup for portion guidance
- MEND graduate print materials, magazines and website
- Extensive in-color program handbook for parents (bilingual)
- MEND graduate print materials and parent information on website
For Program Managers
- Program manager’s manual
- Program manager’s training, including how to use OMMS =
- Secure, anonymized, online management information and report generation
- Extensive online resource library, including checklists, editable flyers and posters, templates, letters and guidance
- Ongoing assistance from MEND’s operations manager
For more information, visit healthyweightpartnership.org/what-we-offer/
A randomized controlled trial of the MEND 7–13 program found:
- At 6 months, there was a significant decrease in waist circumference and BMI z-scores, along with improvements in recovery heart rate, physical activity levels, sedentary levels and global self-esteem in the intervention compared to the control group.
- At 12 months, there was a significant decrease in waist circumference and BMI z-scores, and improvements in recovery heart rate, physical activity levels, and self-esteem were sustained.
Additional information on the evidence-based program, along with a comprehensive list of peer-reviewed publications on MEND can be found at: healthyweightpartnership.org/our-research/
Healthy Weight Partnership, Inc.
Phone: 866-559-5114 or 818-879-0493