Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education, PSE Change, Social Marketing
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: School, Community
Target Audience: Elementary School
- Consumer education for 4th and 5th grade students (9-11 years old).
- Intermediary education for parents, food service managers, school administrators, and educators.
- Marketing and visual reinforcement materials (posters) in 4 settings that children frequent: school, afterschool, community sites such as parks and recreation centers, and the home environment.
- Training for, educators, administrators, and food service managers; technical assistance for educators, administrators, and food service managers; partnerships with community organizations (libraries, parks and recreations centers, sports facilities, food markets, daycares, churches, coffee shops, book stores).
- Assessing the school environment.
- 10 activities designed to encourage and motivate student to eat more fruits and vegetables and be physical active everyday
- Parent and Caregiver tip sheets
- Student worksheets
- Physical activity supplements
Resources and materials and are available in English and Spanish.
- Significantly greater change in FV consumption (¼ cups/day more)
- Significantly more PA during recess and lunch (5 min/day)
- Students in both intervention and control groups gained more PA minutes overall
- Keihner AJ, Meigs R, Sugerman S, Backman D, Garbolino T, Mitchell P. The Power Play! Campaign’s School Idea & Resource Kits Improve the Determinants of Fruit and Vegetable Intake and Physical Activity among Fourth- and Fifth-Grade Children. J Nutr Ed Behav. 2011; 43:S122-S129.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21683281
- Foerster SB, Gregson J, Bealle DL, et al. The California Children’s 5 a Day – Power Play! Campaign: evaluation of a large scale social marketing initiative. Fam Comm Health. 1998; 21:46-64.
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Individual||ST1, ST3, ST4||MT1, MT3||LT2, LT3|
|Environmental Settings||ST5, ST6, ST7||MT5, MT6|
|Sectors of Influence||MT12|
California Department of Public Health, Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Branch
Phone: (916) 449-5371