Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: PSE Change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Child care
Age: Preschool (<5 years old)
- Participation in a Federal Child Nutrition Program
- Meal Quality
- Mealtime Environment
- Nutrition Education
- Edible Gardening
- Physical Activity
- Professional Development
- Wellness Policies
- Leadership Team
The program is structured so all child care sites can achieve a beginning certification level (bronze), and then over time, make additional improvements to the site’s wellness environment in order to reach higher certification levels (silver and gold).
Information on the criteria child care sites must meet within each element and the levels of SHINE certification is accessible on the Preschools SHINE Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/he/preschoolshine.asp.
- 80% of respondents indicated that the Preschools SHINE program had a moderate to strong impact on their practices at their child care site.
- 72% of respondents indicated that the Preschools SHINE program had a moderate to strong impact on the environment at their child care site.
- Statistically significant growth was reported by respondents’ self‐ratings of their knowledge and ability in each of the Preschools SHINE elements after participating in the program.
- 96% of respondents were confident that they can maintain the Preschools SHINE criteria at their child care site.
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Environmental Settings||MT5, MT6||LT5, LT6, LT7|
|Sectors of Influence|
Nutrition Education Specialist
California Department of Education
Phone: (916) 324-0578