Preschools Shaping Healthy Impressions through Nutrition and Exercise (SHINE)

California Department of Education ‐ Nutrition Services Division (CDE‐NSD)

Overview

The Preschools Shaping Healthy Impressions through Nutrition and Exercise (SHINE) program is a voluntary nutrition and physical activity recognition program for licensed child care centers and family child care homes in California. Developed by the California Department of Education (CDE) Nutrition Services Division, the program is designated for child care sites that participate in a federal child nutrition program, such as the Child and Adult Care Food Program or the National School Lunch Program and serve preschool aged children (ages two to five). The overall goal of the program is to promote high-quality nutrition and wellness practices at child care sites to support children’s health and readiness to learn.

Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity

Intervention Type: PSE Change

Intervention Reach and Adoption

SHINE targets early child care programs in California. Family child care homes and child care centers that participate in a federal child nutrition program and have at least 50 percent of children aged two to five years enrolled in their program may apply for Preschools SHINE certification. Since 2012, the SHINE program elements have been implemented in 152 child care agencies, reaching 282 preschool classrooms and nearly 6,000 children.

Setting: Child care

Age: Preschool (<5 years old)

Race/Ethnicity: All

Intervention Components

The Preschools SHINE program consists of 10 elements that foster healthy habits during the early years of growth and development: 

  1. Participation in a Federal Child Nutrition Program 
  2. Promoting Quality Meals 
  3. Mealtime Environment 
  4. Nutrition Education 
  5. Edible Gardening 
  6. Physical Activity
  7. Professional Development 
  8. Wellness Policies 
  9. Partnerships 
  10. Leadership Team 

The program is structured so all child care sites can achieve a beginning certification level (Bronze), and then over time, make additional improvements to the site’s wellness environment in order to reach higher certification levels (Silver and Gold). Information on the criteria child care sites must meet within each element and the levels of SHINE certification is accessible on the CDE Preschools SHINE web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/he/preschoolshine.asp. 

Intervention Materials

The Resources tab of the CDE Preschools SHINE web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/he/preschoolshine.asp includes links to free resources within the web page guidance developed for each element. These free resources support child care staff to implement the criteria within each of the SHINE elements. The CDE Preschools SHINE web page also includes a Trainings tab with free and low-cost professional development opportunities.  

Intervention Costs

There is no cost required to implement the Preschools SHINE program if a site chooses to only use the free resources referenced in the SHINE documents. 

Evidence Summary

The CDE collaborated with the Sacramento County Office of Education to conduct evaluations for the SHINE program every year from 2013‒2017. The data confirmed that the Preschools SHINE program provided effective education and coaching support to child care providers and staff to promote high quality child nutrition and wellness environments. The data from the 2016‒17 evaluation (n=25) shows:

  • One-hundred percent of respondents indicated that Preschools SHINE had an impact on the practices at the child care site. Of those, 86% of respondents indicated that the Preschools SHINE program had a moderate to strong impact and the remaining 14% indicated that the SHINE program had some impact.
  • One-hundred percent of respondents indicated that Preschools SHINE had an impact on the environment at the child care site. Of those, 64% of respondents indicated that the Preschools SHINE program had a moderate to strong impact and the remaining 36% indicated that the SHINE program had some impact.
  • Statistically significant growth was reported by respondents’ self-ratings of their knowledge and implementation in nearly each of the Preschools SHINE elements after participating in the program. The one exception was wellness policy development.
  • 100% of respondents either agreed (22%) or strongly agreed (78%) that they can maintain the Preschools SHINE criteria at the child care site.

Classification: Practice-Tested

Evaluation Indicators

Based on the SNAP-Ed Evaluation Framework, the following outcome indicators can be used to evaluate intervention progress and success.

Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST) Changes – Medium Term (MT) Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT) Population Results (R)
Individual
Environmental Settings MT3, MT5, MT6 LT5, LT6, LT7
Sectors of Influence

MT3/MT6/LT6: SHINE sites reported that the coaching they received resulted in an 85% moderate to great difference in implementing Element 6, Physical Activity.

MT5/LT5: SHINE sites reported that the coaching they received resulted in a 70% moderate to great difference in implementing Element 2, Meal Quality; a 67% moderate to great difference in implementing Element 3, Mealtime Environment; a 95% moderate to great difference in implementing Element 4, Nutrition Education; and a 60% moderate to great difference in implementing Element 5, Edible Gardening.

LT7: 81 preschool programs have received Preschools SHINE recognition since 2013

Evaluation Materials

Evaluation materials include the evaluation tools used each year and the evaluation reports. Please contact the CDE Preschools SHINE team at PreschoolsSHINE@cde.ca.gov to request the materials.

 

Additional Information

Web Page

The CDE Preschools SHINE web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/he/preschoolshine.asp includes the background for the development of Preschools SHINE; eligibility, award levels, and application information; in-person and online trainings; resources, including information for each element, a self-assessment, action plan, and link to the SHINE application; and a list of certified SHINE sites.  

Contact Person(s):
Courtney Hardoin
Nutrition Education Consultant
California Department of Education
Email: chardoin@cde.ca.gov
Phone: (916) 324-0578