Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Reducing Screen Time
Intervention Type: PSE Change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Child care (Learn)
Target Audience: Preschool (<5 years)
- PSE curriculum one-pagers for three key strategies (Strategy 1, Strategy 2, Strategy 3)
- Healthy Eating- and Physical Activity-related menu of PSE best practices
- The PSE Change Process conceptual model
- CDs, garden kits, and visual support materials
- Nutrition and physical activity lesson plans
- Parent Wellness Workshop lesson plans
As of January 2019, outcome evaluations demonstrate that an average of 5.3 PSE changes were implemented in every participating early childcare center. Approximately half of PSE changes (47%) were focused on nutrition supports (e.g., implementing a school garden) and 53% were focused on physical activity supports (e.g., teachers leading children daily structured play). A center-specific wellness policy poster was developed and displayed at every childcare center highlighting the new PSE changes adopted. Outcome evaluation data collected at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years after completion of the PSE process demonstrate that PSE changes implemented through COWP are sustainable. After 1 year, 62% of PSE changes were reported fully implemented and after 2 years, 77% of PSE changes were reported fully implemented.
- Assess, Identify, Make it Happen (AIM) for Preschools: A Tool to Decrease Early Childhood Obesity
- Training Child Care Inspectors to Deliver Health Messaging: A Quality Improvement Pilot Project
- Farewell, C.V., Powers, J., Maiurro, E., Puma, J. (2020). “Sustainability of Health-Promoting Best Practices in Early Childcare Settings.” International Journal of Child Care and Education Policy.
- Farewell, C.V., Maiurro, E., Powers, J., Puma, J. (2020). “The Healthy Environment Project: Promoting Sustainable Changes in Early Childcare Education Settings.” Health Education Journal.
- Powers, J., Farewell, C.V., Maiurro, E., Puma, J. (2019). “The Impact of a Workplace Wellness Program on Provider Health in Early Childhood Education Settings.” Workplace Health and Safety.
Evidence-based Approach: Research-tested
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Environmental Settings||MT5, MT6||LT5, LT6|
|Sectors of Influence|
- MT5,6: 657 adopted changes across 125 early childhood education settings (average of 5.3 changes/setting).
- LT5,6: After 1 year, 62% of the changes selected are fully implemented. After 2 years, 77% of changes selected are fully implemented.
COWP Program Director