Target Behavior: Physical Activity and Reducing Screen Time
Intervention Type: Direct Education
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Community (Live)
Target Audience: Older Adults
All exercises can be done sitting or standing and utilize resistance bands for most of the exercises. Exercises can be modified to accommodate most levels of function and include instruction from the instructors on how to exercise safely and effectively. Activities are medically, geographically, culturally, and linguistically appropriate for the community’s older adult population.
The certification and intervention materials include:
- 12-hour training spread over two days (certification good for one year)
- Lead Trainer Binder
- Digital copy of implementation materials
- Digital Young at Heart Quarterly Instructor Newsletters (4 annually)
- Certified Instructor Manual
- Approved Routines
- Class Forms
- Participant Manual
- Resistance Tubes (3 levels of resistance)
- Poster and half sheet flyer
- Program Brochure
- On-going Materials and Support
- Quarterly Conference calls
- Agenda and materials for all three annual Instructor Meetings
- Timely updates to the manual and/or materials
- Comparing Fall Risk of Older Adults in a Community-Based Fitness Program to Non-Participants – Thesis and Abstract
Evidence-based Approach: Practice-tested
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Sectors of Influence|
- MT3j: Aerobic or cardio fitness, muscular strength, muscular endurance and/or flexibility
- Tinetti Fall Efficacy Scale (TFES): Used for all participants during session one of the programs and then again after session 32.
- Participant “spotlight” form: Participants write down physical and mental improvements and how the program has made an impact on their life.
- Rapid Assessment of Physical Activity (RAPA) tool.
To order, email the Healthy Aging Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Samantha Borba, MA
Kinesiology, Exercise Science