Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education, PSE Change
Intervention Reach and Adoption
Setting: Community, School
Target Audience: Middle School, High School
YPAR is based on a variety of social learning, popular education, health promotion, and youth development theories. Key principles of the approach include:
- Youth opinions are solicited, respected, and applied.
- Youth identify their own issues, problems, and possible solutions.
- Youth initiate project ideas, carry out planning, and goal setting.
- Youth drive the process and are involved in all states of decision-making.
- Youth teach other youth.
YPAR utilizes a participatory action research framework that includes the following steps:
- Identify the issue or problem.
- Define what is known about the issue or problem.
- Identify what additional information is needed to understand the issue.
- Determine what methods and approach will be used to collect this information and then work together as a team to accomplish this.
- Use the information for education, understanding, strategic action, and/or community change.
|Readiness and Capacity – Short Term (ST)||Changes – Medium Term (MT)||Effectiveness and Maintenance – Long Term (LT)||Population Results (R)|
|Individual||ST1, ST3||MT1, MT3||LT1, LT3|
|Environmental Settings||ST6, ST7||MT5, MT6||LT5, LT6|
|Sectors of Influence||MT9|