PE-Nut™ is a direct education and PSE change intervention that uses a whole-school approach to motivate students, parents, and educators to be physically active and eat healthier. Physical educators, classroom teachers and school administrators work together to improve nutrition and physical activity in K–5 school settings. The program consists of several components: quality physical education for students, nutrition education in the classrooms, take-home “healthy book bags”; daily school announcements; school and family newsletters; and parent engagement events. The overall goal of PE-Nut™ is to improve the school nutrition environment and affect healthy behavior change, including:
Individual Behavior Changes:
- Increase participation in a physically active lifestyle.
- Increase consumption of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fat-free or low-fat milk or dairy products.
- Balance caloric intake from food and beverages with calories expended (upper grades).
- Try new foods.
- Choose healthy snacks.
- Wash hands before eating.
Classroom and School Environment:
- Healthy Classroom Parties
- Non-food rewards
- School staff and Student role modeling
- Healthy classroom and school wide messaging
Target Behavior: Healthy Eating, Physical Activity
Intervention Type: Direct Education, PSE Change